These guys should be a lot more famous.

Everybody should know about these extremely talented musicians. They are well known in some circles but they deserve to be known throughout the world.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir - ragged edgy folk/blues

The Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir should be a lot more famous.

They play a ferocious combination of traditional blues, Appalachian folk, and ragged gospel.

They sound like they pray at the alter of the great Tom Waits, and as far as I'm concerned that's not just a good thing, that's a great thing. They also sound like another band I like (that should be a lot more famous) The Tarbox Ramblers - only unplugged.

The Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir has been playing around Western Canada for some time. I heard them live for the first time at a free lunch hour CBC concert just last week. There was only one problem with the show. Their music is best heard at night. It just is.

Their first album St. Hubert is very good. I haven't heard their newest one yet - Fighting and Onions. When I do I'll write you a little review. Or, if you like, you can post one right here.

As with most of the artists I recommend on my blog, you can buy their music at their website.

They also have a blog where you can hear some of their music .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get 25 FREE MP3s at eMusic!